Tuesday, 26 June 2012

I do like to be beside the seaside

Yes, it's true.  There's nothing like the tang of the sea air and the quality of the light - which is especially important to those of us who craft.  Some of my favourite childhood holidays were spent in Swanage in Dorset in a lovely hotel (sadly I can't remember the name of it) which grew a little bit each year we went, as we did too.  I used to love watching the water skiiers from their dining room window, had my first taste of coffee there and tried playing snooker with my dad. We spent hours on the beach and if we were lucky had a beach hut in which to create a little home from home in the week we were there.  I've loved them ever since so I'm always on the lookout for new representations of them by other crafty folk.

Here's a few to share with you.

My friend Lynn Roberts is a very talented ceramic artist.  She is sympathetic to my beach hut obsession - here's some of her latest creations.  If you like what you see you can find her at many events around the Sussex area and her goods are stocked at Miss Mabel's Magnificent Emporium in Burgess Hill www.facebook.com/pages/Miss-Mabels-Magnificent-Emporium/201793089916559


Another talented artist friend, Linda Brand, created this beautiful coloured pencil drawing of the beach huts at Mudeford.  It's currently up for a prize in the Best of British Drawing Competition.  If you want to vote here's the link: http://promoshq.wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/222621/voteable_entries/52423905



When my daughter and I visited the Brighton Art Fair I was very drawn to the amazing work of Gillian Bates.  I had to look very carefully before I realised that this was textile art, the drawing being done with thread.  I've been a fan ever since.  Gillian is based on the south coast so her work has a distinctly seaside feel.  Have a look at her Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/gillianbates or contact her for a commission.


I've recently created my own Etsy shop (Aliscrafty)http://www.etsy.com/shop/Aliscrafty so this has given me the excuse to browse lots of other crafters' work and I've picked out two worthy of a plug - first is a shop called Whimsey Woo Designs. Shirley has the most beautifully made padded gadget covers (ipad, etc) and - yes - I found one with beach huts on it 
but there are lots of other fabulous designs.


Second is a shop aptly named 'ilovemybeachhut' - an emporium of cushion covers - this is my favourite: 



but there are lots more on this and other themes at Wendy's lovely shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/ilovemybeachhut.  Strangely enough she's based in Dorset which has brought us back to the beginning of this blog.

So how about my own beach hut creations?  Some time ago I was very keen on cross stitch and made this collection of little huts from a Mary Hickmott pattern in New Stitches magazine.  Luckily, Laura Ashley had this brilliant house-shaped frame at the time which suited them perfectly.  Inspired by all these marvellous creations, I'm off to make some beach hut pictures of my own.


Let's hope we have some more beach type weather this summer so we can enjoy the sun, sea and sand but if we don't it's good to know there's no shortage of lovely beach hut images to view to remind us of what we should be experiencing.

Lots of love till next time.
Alison


3 comments:

  1. Lovely! I just love beach huts! We don't really have them Up North! So when we go Down South I am a bit obsessed with them.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely round up - makes me want to spend time in a beach hut (never been in one). Linda's drawing is superb (I voted) and I also am now off to visit your shop - is there a beach hut for sale there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. Annabelle, I am going to have a card making week next week so I am going to experiment with embroidering (very simple) beach huts on to some linen. Will post pics if it works! Am working on my Etsy shop but this week's been manic. Will post updates though on the Lavender Heart Facebook page. Thanks again. Alison

    ReplyDelete