Wednesday, 2 March 2016

New Beginnings

January and February are often the months wished away - with Christmas festivities over the dark days of winter are sometimes difficult to get through.  This year has been no exception with a stormy start and many sad events hitting the newstands.  So when 1st March arrives it feels the right time for a change - a note of optimism creeps in and we start to look forward to the good things that Spring and the year ahead can bring.

It's perhaps no surprise therefore that the eponymous flower of Spring - the daffodil - traditionally means new beginnings.  With its trumpet like centre it is a true herald of warmer days and cheerfulness to come.

As we round the corner from the station at the end of my road we're greeted by a lovely display of tete a tete daffodils and these inspired my work for this month's flower of the month card.


You may remember from earlier posts that I fell in love with thread crochet two years ago.  By working designs from Caitlin Sainio's excellent books (I have them all!) I have acquired a new skill and in the process found a way to represent real flowers in my work.  I started this month by crocheting 'Daffodil' from her book 100 Lace Flowers to Crochet.  It was just the right size to turn into a brooch for my jacket.

So now to the hard part - to design my own daffodil for this month's card.  Using photos of my neighbour's tete a tetes as a guide I worked a longer trumpet with a frilly edge and surrounded it with six petals - not too big and quite pointy.  I used two different shades of gold and yellow no. 12 thread and a 1.5 mm hook.  This was the result.


Now luckily for me one of my closest friends happens to have her birthday on 1st March so she too was inspirational for this month's card. Having worked three flowers I stitched them on to white linen fabric and embroidered outline leaves to resemble the flowering plant. The completed embroidery was mounted on to a gold pearlescent card.



Even more luckily I discovered from The Daffodil Society's site that whilst a single daffodil means misfortune, lots bring joy and happiness!

Sarah was very happy with her card and once her celebrations are over is going to display it framed.  I've listed this card in my Etsy shop if you would like me to make one for you. https://www.etsy.com/listing/270492661







Yesterday brought a very enthusiastic response to the pictures I posted on Facebook of this project so I spent the evening working some other named daffodils.  Here are my takes on Pheasant Eye, Pink Charm and Pueblo.

Here at Lavender Heart HQ our new beginnings involve revamping the website www.lavender-heart.co.uk and exhibiting at my first fair for over a year.  I'm joining some other handmade crafters at the Gingham Goose craft market in Hayes, Kent on 12th March.  There's a fantastic tea room serving delicious cake and refreshments and entry is free.  Here's the link to their Facebook page for more information on this and their other events https://www.facebook.com/ginghamgoose/.

Till next time.
Lots of love
Alison xx

Keep in touch
Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LavenderHeartUK
Twitter: @LavenderHeartUK





No comments:

Post a Comment